Thursday, January 10, 2013

Day 1 Preparation



After hours of diligent research, looking to find the right recipes that will mirror the BPC Cleanse, I finally settled on the recipes listed in the aforementioned post.

I hightailed it to the local grocery store and bee-lined to the produce section. I started grabbing each ingredient, line by line, and made it to the cashier in under 10 minutes! And I got my validation when the cashier exclaimed "wow, lot of green!" Win.

After having gone through the prep phase for Day 1 already, I could possibly say that it was smooth sailing. But as I recount now, I not-so-fondly remember wanting to give up half way through making the green juices. 

A lot of the trouble is the prepping- washing all the produce carefully, making sure you've allotted the right ingredients and the right amount for each batch. And I am assuming that part of my frustration is having a miniature NYC kitchen, where there were leafy greens overflowing into the living room. I digress...


Here are my recommendations for success: 
  1. For the love of god, wear an apron or old t-shirt. This gets messy.
  2. Get some bottles, so you can fill them up with juice (you'll need 6 bottles total per day). I use Poland Spring water bottles - appx 500mL.
  3. Keep a pulp bowl (or garbage) nearby, and clean out the pulp periodically. Make sure to keep a watchful eye, because that bad boy will fill up quick with the amount you're pushing through there. 
  4. Make all the green juice first. Get yourself a large pitcher or container or whatever you can scramble. And just keep juicing til all the day's worth of green juice ingredients are juiced away to a fluffy pulp. Then fill the bottles up! How many greens will be determined by what level cleanse you're doing.
  5. Rinse out the juicer (total pain in the bones, but you'll be glad you did, or else all your juice will have a green tinge to it. After 4 green juices a day, you'll be grateful for any other color at that point).
  6. Cut up the pineapple into 6 slices and then redistribute so they are in even thirds. (You have 3-days worth of pineapple right there!).
  7. For the lemonade, I just skipped the juicer altogether. I hand juiced the lemons and used a strainer.

I tell you, it was a mess. And a LOTt of effort. It took me about 3 hours from start to finish (reading juicer directions, washing all of the produce and juicing/bottling and cleanup). So far, BPC is looking like it was well worth the $65/day, based on the effort and time put in to Day 1. 

But have you ever taken a road trip somewhere, and it seems like it takes forever to get to the destination, but it takes like half the time (or so it seems) to get home again? I think it's bc the destination is unknown, versus homeward bound is familiar. 

So, my point is, I think it will be smoother as the days go by, because it won't be so new anymore to juice things, and I'll know what to do and what shortcuts to take (which I will dutifully share with you!).

Now on to taste...

Well, the juice is FANTASTIC! Again, kudos to the recipes I found on homefitnessmanual.com and delicateprincesstummy.com. 

Stay tuned for the follow up post as I prep for Day 2's juices. Due to the excess veggies leftover, the cost for tomorrow's juices should be slightly less than Day 1.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment